POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ze moon : Re: ze moon Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ze moon
From: scott
Date: 29 Aug 2007 04:08:59
Message: <46d5299b@news.povray.org>
>> On my camera (Canon 300D) the remote shutter release is just a stereo
>> 2.5mm jack, easy to pick up from electronics stores and wire up 2 simple
>> switches if you can solder.
>
> Hmmm, <looks at camera>.  Pentax *iST DS here.  I can see it is a coaxial
> socket, but my impression is the bore is too small for a 2.5mm jack.
> Squinting into it with a magnifying glass, I think I can make out sleeve,
> ring and tip contacts.  I think I have some in my old electronics junk
> box, so it won't be too hard to check.

A quick google seems to suggest it actually uses the same 2.5mm plug as
mine...

http://www.digicaminfo.btinternet.co.uk/hmcablerelease.htm

Seems like you can pick ones up on ebay for £5-£10 anyway.

>> I suppose another alternative would be to use some sort of clamp to hold
>> down the shutter button, then you can use the black card trick while
>> attaching it and removing it.
>
> Uh-oh, carpentry and metalwork were my two worst subjects!  :-D

Or just get a small clamp from a DIY shop.  Like this one:

http://www.roger-russell.com/cameras/clamp.jpg

Depending on how much the shutter button is recessed you might need to
blu-tak something on to it so that the clamp works - but shouldn't be too
hard.